Basic Tonality Training
Four weeks. Four scripts. One Genre. January 2021.
Photo by Samuel Scrimshaw on Unsplash
Basic Tonality Training
We’re taking a look at the basics of storytelling. How do we make an audience laugh, cry, or engaged in suspense?
The exercises within a specific genre let you investigate the mechanisms and invite you to practice them.
every movie has its own tonality (also shaped by directing, acting and
all other crafts), the genre will still prevail.
offer you a selection of scripts from the current Oscar nominees,
scripts fresh from the Black List, and classic movies.
Let’s dive in, shall we?!
The training will be held in an exclusive workshop within Scriptdock. Each group has access to reading all texts, uploading their own pages, and commenting on colleagues' posts.
What is the time frame?
Simple: 4 weeks; 4 scripts.
*timed from Sunday to Sunday, beginning Jan. 3rd, 2021
- Task: each week you will be invited to read an award-winning script. We can all learn from the best and it is immensely inspiring!
- Task: write this script log-line. Upload and discuss this log-line within the course, compare your version with others from the class.
- Task: Write a new scene for that script. Try to get into the specific tone of it! You can send the characters into another plotline; or into a prequel or a sequel of the original script. You practice to write a 2-3 page dynamic, completed scene. This is our practice: to hit a genre tonality.
- Task: Upload this scene into the course DryDock; read a scene of a colleague and comment on it constructively.
How do I sign up?
This offer is not for free.
Free training often leads to half-hearted results. We wish for participants to be really committed. Also, we build the structure and accompany every group in real-time.
Every training only € 22,00
You will receive a tax-deductible invoice.
Know your Genre!
SPECIAL OFFER: If you place on either spotlight BEST FEEDBACK and MOST ACTIVE MEMBER by January 1st, you can join one training for free!
* In each training ONE of FIVE scripts is in German. So if this doesn't concern you, just read the 4 English ones.
Many of the scripts can be found online and read at your own time and disposal. If you actually do that, great! This training is for those of us who want practical exercises, exchange feedback, and to engage in a group.
** If you complete this training, you have proven yourself to be a real script lover and will get access to the group reading the Black List scripts 2020!
(ATTENTION: only for the purpose of study and education; no copyright violations! Please also refrain from uploading your own material. That will get the focus during the Screenwriting Marathon in February.)