BASIC Genre Training
We examine the mechanisms of four genres in current screenplays:
- HISTORIC / BIO PIC
- SCI -FI
- and as a bonus* WESTERN
How are these genres evolving in global cinema? What are the genre expectations of the audience? What do the filmed authors do with these expectations?
Genre is back in, at least in Hollywood, and then with a few years delay also in our country. Probably.
There is an abundance of good screenplays to read and we as screenwriters need to stay up-to-date. It's the best way to keep our finger on the pulse of the time and on the industry's innovations.
WHAT MAKES ME A BETTER WRITER?
We've developed all of our training along this question.
- READING ALONE DOES NOT! That would be like binging Netflix and hoping it mysteriously turns you into the next show runner.
- Reading, studying, analyzing scripts is great - but most importantly, APPLY what you read PRACTICALLY.
- Keeping a DEADLINE - is trivial, but makes a difference.
- Get FEEDBACK for what you've written. Follow through; what's in my head and what's on paper?
- Know the INDUSTRY.
- Know the CRAFT.
- Knowing and fully developing your STRENGTHS.
We do all this in the BASIC GENRE TRAINING together!
The Basic Training is super effective for every experience level - from beginner to advanced - a short cut into the techniques of the genre masters!
The training is held in a closed, interactive online workshop. It is possible to study only one genre, as well as to read all 4 genres per week.
The group can upload scenes in the workshop, read those of the colleagues, and comment on them.
What is the time frame?
Simple: 4 weeks; 4 scripts to read.
For dates check the calendar please.
One screenplay per genre will be published per week.
- Task: READ one.
- Task: WRITE the logline for it.
- Task: WRITE a new scene of the screenplay you read. Try to pick up the specific tone of the book and continue it.
(The characters may be exploring a subplot in your scene, playing a continuation of the plot, or appearing in a "prequel". We will practice writing a 2-3 page self-contained, dynamic scene. The goal is to match the tone of the genre).
- Task: we READ fellow writers' scenes and discuss them in constructive feedback. Our ScriptCoaches will work side by side with you and provide a nourishing, constructive atmosphere.
How do I sign up?
Cheap offers are often executed half-heartedly. However, this works best if all who are with us, fully join in!
Because the BASIS TRAINING is gives you as much as you invest. Financially only € 44,– incl. VAT.
Your invested time in active participation develops your own voice in your favorite genre - and that's a great accomplishment!
There is a tax deductible invoice.
And from now on no more excuses ;-)
Know your genre!
Know your strength!
* Attention:ALL current genre screenplays in this training are in English! We hope that German genre screenplays will soon become award winners as well. Currently you can find the three Lola award winning screenplays here: https://www.deutscher-filmpreis.de/drehbuecher/
We are also happy to read and discuss these during the training on demand.